My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sixth Day of Training

The Sixth Day of Training was more driving in both the trucks and the simulators along with pretrip inspections. The pretrip inspection is part of the commmercial drivers license (CDL) test.

Today we drove around town making left and right turns, went to an obstacle course, and then drove out of town on one of the four lane highways.

The idea of driving around town making turns is to get driver trainees to learn how to handle different types of turns while maintaining control of their tractor/trailer. You have to make the turns without hitting a curb or knocking over a telephone pole or running into a car. Keep in mind this is live training with real people driving their cars around town. They have no idea if you are one of the driver trainees or an experienced driver. There is a licensed CDL driver trainer sitting in the passenger seat to teach you how to make the turns and drive the truck.

The simulators present examples of driving probabilities of things that can come up during a driver's day. Things like driving through a city and pedestrians walking right out in front of you without looking, very small streets with tight turns, emergency vehicles, car doors popping out in front of you, motor cyclists zooming in front of you, building and car fires, and low clearances.

Tomorrow we will have more driving, simulators, pretrip inspection practice, and learn how to use pallet jacks to load/unload a truck. Since I used to unload trucks when I worked at Krogers using pallet jacks and fork lifts, the truck loading/unloading is not going to be a problem for me.

Tomorrow, the class that came in the Saturday before mine will graduate. This Saturday another class of new driver trainees will come in and then next Friday my class will graduate.

I am looking forward to getting out of training, get my CDL, and get out on the open road. I know it is not a 9 - 5 job, but hey, neither was my last job. I was working day and night with not much time to myself. At least this way I can enjoy the view while I work! I will get home to see my family for two days out of every two weeks.

Hats off to my Wife, Debbie who is taking care of the house, our miniature Schnauzers, and for being understanding and supporting me through all of this. If it were not for her, I would not have the strength and stamina to make it through.

Thanks to Jo Ann, Pam, and Jay for being there for Deb. Thanks to Pam and Jay for mowing the lawn and edging it.

Feel free to add your comments. I would like to hear them and I am sure others would like to read them. Supportive comments are always nice to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home