My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chicago, New York City, Baltimore, Kansas City

Where have I been? Driving of course.

Among my most recent trips was a trip to Chicago when all of the snow fell during the week of Feb 11th. The roads in Chicago were never cleared even though the snow plows went over them again and again. Speeds on the expressways were only at 25 MPH and at the most, 35 MPH in some areas if you were lucky. It took hours to get across the city when it normally would only take part of an hour. My windshield wiper blades iced up and I had a terrible time seeing through my windshield. I finally stopped and bought a pair of winter ice blades which helped a great deal.

There were a lot of jack knives during this bad weather. I probably saw at least a dozen trucks that were left sitting off the side of the road after jack knifing while driving the interstates across the states affected by the snow storm.

New York City was interesting. I drove across the George Washington Bridge into the city through Queens, south of the Bronx. The lanes were really tight and I had to keep watching my mirrors to make sure my trailer tires stayed in my lane. I also managed to get a 13 foot 6 inch truck under a 12 foot 9 inch overpass. Imagine that. The inches in New York must be bigger than the standard inch.

Baltimore was my second trip there. This time I did not get lost. I did follow the Schneider directions into the customer site this time though, and they took me into areas where trucks were not allowed. Strange. When I left though, I took the truck route away from the customer. The next time I go in, I will take the truck route into the customer.

Kansas City, Missouri. Now that was a real interesting trip, especially since it was during the warming trend immediately after our cold snap with all the bad snow/ice that fell in the region the week before. The temperatures were in the near 60 mark when I passed over the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Kind of gave me spring fever.

Then I passed back into the Ohio Valley, where the warming trend was not as warm, but the warmth created an eerie fog, making it difficult to see while driving. I could see that a lot of the snow had melted, but I still could not see the grass like I could in Missouri.

Well, they are sending me back to Missouri tomorrow and then on to Memphis, Tennessee before my weekend comes up again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rick, sounds like you are starting to get a little tired of your job. Also sounds like the civilian world has possibly the same problem as us. Not enough time in the day to fix and update everything that needs to be fixed and updated, i.e. Schneider directions:) Some of the stuff you describe though is disgusting and does make you wonder, WHY? PA? Anyway, just wanted to say take care and be careful!!! Love ya, sis Mary

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 2:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger RickSmith said...

Mary, I will never grow tired of driving. I just grow tired of people who cannot do the job they are supposed to do. No matter where you go, there are those who are clueless, those who can do a job well, and those who still have a job even though they cannot do it. It is the inept people in the world I get tired of. Those who care and try to do a good job are fewer and farther between. These are the ones who get ignored some how while somebody's cousin, nephew, or friend gets all the kudos, promotions, and pats on the back for jobs well done, when someone else actually did the job.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 12:16:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home