My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Thursday, February 22, 2007

UFOs on Roads

I was driving back from Baltimore on I-76 when I saw a car off the side of the road with a woman sitting in it trying to regain her composure. She was lucky that all that happened was her windshield was shattered but did not break away from its socket. Just a few moments before I heard a trucker advise another that a piece of ice had come off the top of his truck and hit the windshield of the car.

This is an issue that everyone needs to be aware of. Not only does ice form on the top of trucks, but it forms on top of RVs, cars, and pickup trucks. Anything that runs on the road has the potential to have ice build up on top of it. When going down the highway, the ice can be blown loose and into a windshield.

The ice/snow storms that went through the region attributed to the ice build up.

It only takes a few minutes to knock the ice loose and off your vehicle before driving off in it and it would possibly save someones life, not to mention save yourself a law suit if the ice from your vehicle hits someone.

I don't know how many chunks of ice that I saw fly off moving vehicles while traveling across the region. Fortunately, all of the chunks of ice that I saw fly off, hit the road and broke into pieces instead of hitting a windshield. I did see a few vehicles swerve to prevent chunks of ice from hitting them.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Momma to Twin Girls~ said...

So I have to know...is a truck driver responsible for clearing the trailor free of ice as well?

I am having my windshield replaced today because of a chunk of ice :) Cost me $350 now way I would think to sue the truck driver in front of me :)

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 9:15:00 AM EST  
Blogger RickSmith said...

Anyone driving a motor vehicle on the road is responsible for any debris that may fall off of it. In your instance, you would need to know as much info as possible about the truck you were following, i.e., the name of the company that owns the truck, the truck and/or trailer number, and/or the license plate number on the trailer of the truck. You would also need to have the date/time of the incident along with the location. Witnesses are a plus. The more details you are able to pull together, the better your chances are of recovering your damages. Some times the drivers are not aware of ice falling from their trailers but they are responsible to clear the ice from them just as much as anyone else is responsible for clearing the ice from their own vehicles.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 12:10:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home