My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"Maybe the boxes should drive!"

You remember the UPS commercial where a UPS truck stops in the middle of the highway to avoid hitting a lady sitting at a desk in the middle of the road? The lady tells the driver that he and his co-driver are lost. When he asks how she knows this, she said, "The boxes.". The boxes include the new technology that allows them to be tracked. The driver tells his co-driver what the lady said, and his co-driver says, "Maybe the boxes should drive!".

Well, I am sure that you have heard about the satellite systems used by trucking companies to track their trucks. "QualComm" is the name of one of these satellite systems. The instructions for each new load of freight goes through these systems to the drivers. The boxes are about the size of a laptop, but there is no flip top to them. They put me more in the mind of a sophisticated "Etch-a-Sketch", are as old/antique as an old Lexis UBIQ terminal and the keys are about as small. The screen you read your instructions from is gray scale and is about 2 by 6 inches and is impossible to see during the day unless you stop and close all of your curtains so you are in the dark.

Not only does this system tell you when/where to pick up your next load, it tracks your movement, knows when you start driving, stop driving, how long you have been driving, and monitors your speed. If you go to fast going downhill, the box beeps at you. If you let your truck idle too long, it beeps at you. If you happen to speed up to pass someone who is annoying you, and you go over the predetermined allowable speed, the box beeps at you. When you get new loads to pick up, the box beeps at you. When you are trying to sleep during your 10 hour break, the box beeps at you. Needless to say, you probably know by now that I don't like a computer that is programmed to only take into account a specific set of rules without taking into account any other environmental issues at the time in question.

Well, I found the button to turn down the beep so I could finally sleep without being interrupted, however for some really odd reason, some messages are still sent through with a beep.

The only thing that should be going beep in my truck is the horn when I decide to blow it, and I should have control of the truck, not some computer telling me that I have done something that I already know I did. I don't need some computer reminding me that I did it.

I wonder if the thing ever blows a fuse?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it don't blow a fuse I am sure you could help it find out how. Like oops there went my coffe on it.
LOL
Carla

Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 1:23:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home