My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Friday, December 01, 2006

Gator Mine Field

Companies retread the tires they use on their trailers. I never did have much luck with retreads. I tried them years ago when I was in the Air Force and was stationed in Charleston, South Carolina. I thought they would save me money, however the treads got hot and came off not long after I bought them. The company I had bought them from was called "Gerald Recaps". After this one time experience for me, I just bought new tires and vowed never to invest in recaps again.

The tire pieces you see along the freeway are actually retreads that have come loose, fly into the air, land onto the road, hopefully not hitting anything in its path. These pieces of tires that come loose are referred to as "Gators" by truckers. Some of these pieces can carry a force of 60 - 80 pounds as they fly into the air, and if you happen to be one of those people who like to ride in the tail wind of a tractor-trailer, you could end up with a "Gator" snapping through your windshield and killing you. Just as they expect tractor trailers to stay a safe distance from others, you should keep a safe following distance from them.

When you approach a patch of "Gators" on the road, truckers refer to them as "Gator Mine Fields". Truckers avoid these like a passion because not only could they tear loose a piece of the retreads on their trailers, the tires could pick up a loose gator and whip it at someone following them.

Next time you drive on the road, and you see those fools who dodge in/out of traffic, in between and and in front of semi-trailers, remember the "Gator Mine Fields" and think how silly they are for playing with fate and taking their own lives and others into their own hands.

Keep a safe following distance and drive carefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home