My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Quality of Workmanship?

The truck assigned to me has over 750,000 miles on it and almost as many problems as miles. Recently it was sent to the Detroit Engine Facility to have the engine reworked. I drove it for a couple of hundred miles before I had to pull into a maintenance shop for them to tell me that the engine had a bad oil leak. The engine started screaming about half way across Pennsylvania and continued to scream even after I reached Baltimore, Maryland where the mechanic told me that the turbo was going out and that I had a bad oil leak. The mechanic's assessment was that I could complete my current deliveries and return to my home operating center to get the engine checked out.

My original complaint was no power in tenth gear at 1300 RPM at 60 miles per hour. This prompted the original repair of the engine by the Detroit Engine Facility. Apparently they did not reseat the seals properly to keep the oil from leaking out.

The second time the engine was sent back was to repair the oil leak and to replace the turbo that was going out. Apparently, the Schneider mechanics were advise that the radiator needed replaced, so that was done upon the return of the tractor from the Detroit Engine Facility.

After the first engine work, the power problem was resolved. The engine ran great and had plenty of power, it was just the oil leak and the screaming turbo that were the root of the problem that required the second engine work.

After the second engine work, and the replacement of the radiator, and approximately 150 miles, the coolant take went empty and the warning lights came on. So I had to take the tractor back to have it fixed yet again.

What ever happened to quality workmanship? Doesn't anyone care about how good of a job they do any more, or do they just do the job as quickly as they can just to get it done and over with? I was not brought up that way. I have to do a good job at anything I do. I cannot short change someone else because I would not want to be short changed myself.

All of this work, rework, has caused me to be moved from tractor to tractor just to keep me moving, making money, and keeping freight moving for Schneider. This is no fun, moving from tractor to tractor, because it takes at least an hour, if not two to move all of your belongings from one tractor to another. This past week I have been moved in/out of three different tractors.

All I really want is a tractor that is dependable and does not need a bunch of work done on it. If my current tractor could be fixed up to alleviate all of its problems, I would have no problem with it, even though a newer tractor would be nice to have. If the newer tractor is going to have problems though, just let me keep my old one, as long as it works, and I don't have to keep moving from tractor to tractor every other day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home