My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Friday, December 01, 2006

Should I drive during the day or at night?

My recent deliveries turned my days and nights upside down and I had the opportunity to see what it was like driving at night. There are advantages and disadvantages of driving during the day or the night.

During the day you can see all around you and have more time to make critical driving decisions where at night you are limited to the distance your headlights reach. For a semi, the distance the lights reach is not a safe stopping distance when loaded with freight in a trailer.

At night, all of the rest areas along the freeway and truck stops fill up with truckers taking their legally required 10 hour break. This makes it difficult to find a rest room when you have to go because you cannot just park a big rig any where. The way that some of those truckers park their rigs make it nigh to impossible to get in/out of the rest areas at night. The parking spaces run out so they start parking off to the side of the off/on ramps and even in the area reserved for cars to park.

One advantage of driving at night is that the roads are clear. There is no rush hour traffic and you can scoot through cities at ease. The bad thing about driving at night though, is it messes with your body clock. If you flip back and forth to be up during the day when you are home and at night when you drive, your body has a rough time making the adjustment to the change.

Personally, I prefer to drive during the day, but I know there will be times when I will have to make a delivery that will require me to drive during the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home