My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Eleventh Day of Training

The Eleventh Day of Training included more practice parking, making turns, simulator training and sliding the tandems and fifth wheel to balance the load.

The tandems are the eight wheels all the way to the back of the truck, the trailer wheels. The fifth wheel is the saddle plate the kingpin on the trailer seats into. If I did not have the gooseneck on our fifth wheel camper you would be able to see the kingpin. It is the part that slides into the slot on the fifth wheel hitch.

You slide the tandems and fifth wheel forward or backward in order to balance the load on the truck. Legal weight limits on semi tractor trailers is set at least to 80,000 pounds on highways and interstates across the country, in most cases.

The simulator training today was how to handle getting lost. They provided tips like asking directions, using maps, reading street and road signs, and of course using the satellite communications in the truck. We also dealt with some more skidding and backing into docks on the simulators.

Tomorrow will be my last day of driver training. On Thursday I have to take the driving test and have to do 80 percent or better in order to pass. On Friday I take a written exam and also have to get a 80 percent or better to pass. Once I pass these two tests I will graduate from the training and will become an full fledged employee of Schneider National.

T-3 Days and counting!

:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home