My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Monday, December 25, 2006

Signs

There was a sign I tried to read while traveling at 60 miles per hour at the Texas border. It was about 10 feet high by 20 feet wide and was displaying a full set of conditions on what speed you were allowed to travel based on what type of vehicle you were driving. They listed about six or eight different types with a column to the right that listed the maximum speed limit. I tried to read the sign, but by the time I got to the second row of the type of vehicle, my time to read it was over. As you should know, and you would figure that Texas would know this, traveling at a rate of sixty miles per hour, even with a 10 by 20 foot sign, one is not going to have time to read all of that info before they have passed the sign.

My side thought was to stop and take time to read the sign, but there is a minimum speed limit and if you stop, it can only be for an emergency, and then you would have to put out your triangles if it takes you more than 10 minutes to read the sign.

Another thought was, why didn't they just post individual signs for each type of vehicle every so many feet to allow a driver to read each and every sign as they passed by?

Really now, aren't we supposed to be watching the road to keep from hitting anyone? If we have to read a sign that it full of information before we pass it by, how are we supposed to be watching the vehicles in front of and behind us?

"Don't mess with Texas." Maybe that was the full intent of the sign?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home