My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Twelfth Day of Training

The Twelfth Day of Training was a surprising one. Upon completion of my driving today I was told that I had already passed my road test. This was a surprise to me because I did not even know that I was being evaluated for a final road test. My driving instructor told me they do it that way so people don't freak out when they are being tested. It made my day because I was already worried about having to take the test on Thursday, so it was a relief to find out that I had already passed it. I was really working on fixing my weak areas today so I would be ready to pass the test tomorrow. It paid off.

This afternoon we learned about the satellite communications device they use to communicate with the trucks that is supplied by QualComm. We also learned how to prevent cargo claims and prevent theft of the freight we will be moving.

We started with a class of about 65 and as of today we have a class of about 44. People seem to drop out like flies in the beginning when they figure out what they have gotten themselves into and did not think it through enough before committing to do the job.

Some leave due to hardships and other reasons as well though, so it is not just giving up. If you don't have the teamwork of the family at home agreeing to do their best to take care of things at home, then you will fail, because you cannot keep your mind on studying and doing your best to succeed. I have been fortunate because my Wife, Deb is strong and has the support of her family behind her to make sure she is doing ok.

Deb and I talk on the phone at least two if not three times a day. Her support has been tremendous. Thank you Deb for being there and supporting me.

One of the guys left training because his wife was going out partying after he left, and another just left today because his wife could not handle taking care of a dozen or so horses that they own. That shows you some of the reasons why people leave, but it is only a small fraction of the reasons.

T-2

:-)

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Momma to Twin Girls~ said...

Congrats on passing your test Rick! Deb is doing a WONDERFUL job taking care of everything! :)

Thursday, August 10, 2006 at 10:46:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home