My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sorry, I could not see...

My recent delivery took me into the state of Connecticut. My delivery was to Southington, CT, off exit 32 from I-84. Upon entry into the state I noticed that the reflectivity of the signs was wearing out. It was night time, about 5 AM, and not being able to read the signs was worrying me a bit. The speed limit signs were very legible, standing out like a sore thumb, black letters on a white background. Who could miss that? The informational signs, the white letters on blue background were in pretty good shape as well, but the white letters on the green background were in sad shape.

The wheels started turning in my head and I figured that I had better come up with a backup plan, just in case I could not read the sign that was supposed to let me know when exit 32 was coming up. Away I went, running mileage calcuations in my head (math is one of my strong points, except when it comes to diffrentiation) in order to make sure I would not miss my exit. I had to do this because the exit numbers did not match up with the mile markers. It was this way through New York as well. I guess this part of the country has been around for so long that they go by their own rules, kind of like an older sibling.

Ok, I was all set. I know what my odometer should read when I get to exit 32. Well, go figure, by the time I ran all those calculations in my head, the signs got brighter and I was able to see them. Well, when I reached the sign for exit 32, it was not easy to read either, so it was good that I ran the calculations anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home