My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Where are the pictures?

I thought I would update you about where the pictures are that I promised to post on this blog. I do have some that I have not posted yet, of the drive out west through Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and California. I will work on getting some of them up here for you to view.

I have not taken any pictures recently because I have had to drive during the night time in order to make my deliveries. About all I could take pictures of at night are lights. I suppose the Dallas skyline would have been a good picture, but by the time I thought about taking the picture, I was heading out of Dallas. I was so taken up by the beauty of the buildings outlined in neon lights that it did not dawn on me to take a picture.

The other thing you have to remember, is that when traffic is heavy, I have to pay attention to the road so I do not hit anyone, and to prevent them from hitting me. I worry more about a four or six wheeler hitting me, than me hitting them. They have no sense when it comes to driving around big trucks. All they think of is how they are soooo slow and how they get in their way. So it is not uncommon for them to pass big trucks on the right (which they are not supposed to do) and whip in front of them as soon as their rear bumper clears the front bumper of the truck. Do you know how much of a four wheeler you can see from the cab of a big truck when they do that? You might be able to see the front of the four wheeler, but the back half of the vehicle, where the tail lights, brakes, lights, turn signals are, you cannot see.

We have to slow down to keep a 7 second space between us and the vehicles in front of us. During winter conditions we are supposed to keep a 14 second space. I know that this sounds kind of odd, because you have seen big trucks pushing other vehicles in the passing lane on the freeway, especially going downhill. One thing you have to remember about trucks is that they use air and engine brakes and they usually have a load of freight (anywhere up to 40,000 pounds). You never know when the brakes are going to give out on big trucks, so it is best not to ride in front of them holding them back or trying to slow them down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home