My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Kisatchie National Forest

As mentioned in my last blog entry, I passed through a forest in Louisiana. The name of the forest is Kisatchie. I drove down route 167 South from I-40 West through Arkansas into Louisiana to get to Pineville. Upon leaving Pineville I drove down route 165 South to hook up with I-10 West bound in order to get to San Antonio. If you opposite click on the Kisatchie link and select "Open in New Window", it will take you to maps of the forest where you can see the sections that I passed through while still reading this blog entry. The trees were very tall, thick, and very beautiful.

If I had my camera out I would have taken a picture. Don't worry, I will have my camera ready from now on. For those of you who are concerned about me driving and taking pictures, don't worry. I will be sitting the camera on a tripod and pushing a button on the end of a cord to take pictures so I am not distracted from driving safely. After all, I would not want to run over an alligator while trying to take a picture, eh?

It has been some time since I have driven through an isolated area like that. There were very few vehicles on the highway, maybe one or two vehicles went the other direction about every half hour or so. I did not see any driveways nor many roads cutting off the highway. I am very glad that I went through the forest during the daytime, because at night, it may be pretty scarey.

The last time I was on such an isolated roadway was way back in 1973 when I took the drive down I-65 through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama to hook up with I-59 and then US-49 to get to Biloxi, Mississippi. I was heading for my Air Force avionics technical training at Keesler Air Force Base located in Biloxi. I traveled for miles without seeing a single car going in either direction and gas stations were very far apart. I could not get any radio stations and did not have the convenience of a tape player, and of course CDs were not even thought of yet. I was so worried about running out of gas and/or breaking down since nobody would find me for days since there was no traffic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home