My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Directions Please

One of the aggravating things I am coping with is bad trip directions. The company used MapTuit and some of the directions are just off when it comes to letting you know the exact location of customers. The customers may be on the other side of the road than indicated in the instructions, or a block or two away. Which is not really a big deal if you are familiar with the area, but when you are unfamiliar with the area it is like walking into a dark room with a flashlight that has batteries about to die on you.

A perfect example recently was when I was sent into Madison, Georgia and was told to exit off Exit 113, go to a customer site to pick up a load. When I left, the instructions indicated that I was to go back to the interstate and exit off Exit 114. So I played along with the directions to make sure that I would not get lost. I drove all the way back to the interstate, the exact same way I got to the customer for the pick up. I proceeded to the next exit, got off, followed the directions, and what do you know, I was right back in front of the very same location I made the pick up from. As I passed by the pick up location I wondered why the directions didn't just say to turn left from the customer's site? Sure would have saved me about half an hour in time and about 10 or 15 miles of travel.

It reminded me of the time when I always enjoyed taking visitors around the traffic circle in Charleston, South Carolina just to see how many times I could get around the traffic circle before they would say, I think we just saw that house, didn't we? Are we going in circles? Then I would laugh and say, "Just wanted to see how many times we could get around the traffic circle before you realized we were going in a circle. Too funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home