My Truck Driving Experiences

Gather round while I share my experiences traveling across the US and Canada in a Semi-Truck.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dayton, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Exact Change Please

I recently had the opportunity to drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. My routing was taking me through Maryland into Delaware and then on into Pennsylvania. I was to drop a load at Smyrna, Delaware and then pick up another at Chester, Pennsylvania.

I pulled up to the toll booth noticing that cars had to pay $12 to cross the bridge/tunnel. I figured I had sufficient cash to pay the toll for the semi-truck I was driving, but I wish I had know how much the fee was going to be before hand. The toll booth cashier said "$35 Please". I thought for a moment, realizing that I only had $30 in my wallet at the time, and then I said, "Do you take credit cards?", and his reply was an emphatic, "NO!". So I handed him the last $30 I had on me and asked him to hang on a moment when I grabbed my change bag. Thank God I had been dumping my change into a bag for a time like this. I pulled out $5 in quarters and handed them to him, asking him to make sure there was $5 there (like he wouldn't count it and let me know). He gave me my receipt and I proceeded onto the bridge/tunnel.

There are no pictures to provide you since it was raining when I went across the bridge and through the tunnel, but I am sure I will be through there again. Maybe the next time it will be sunny and I can get some good pictures to post.

All I have to say about that bridge and tunnel is that it is very long and narrow. I have never been on a bridge that spanned a water way for that length of time, nor have I been in a tunnel as long as those were. Thinking of driving a big truck under the water in a tunnel was also a first time experience for me. When I arrived on the other side of the bay, I was so glad to see land again. I had felt like I had just taken a journey of a life time.

Words cannot describe the experience nor the way I felt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home